Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Rachel, the Teacher

      Two weeks into the new school year and the note comes home.... Teacher requests conference... I'm thinking what took so long? (longer than in years past).... Guessing the time & date will accompany her home, today. 
      Rachel's 4th grade teacher is an energetic, positive teacher, Ms. Adkins. AND, She has the most wonderful intervention teacher, Ms. Samar. If it weren't for her, my days would be much more complicated and stressful. Rachel ADORES Ms. Samar, as of course, so do I. Rachel gets out of the car, now, by herself in the mornings, not even in tears!
     Every single day until mid-year, last year, I've had to walk Rachel to her classroom. Her first grade teacher told me I was enabling Rachel's crying, etc, by walking her to class. I tried to explain to her that she would NOT get out of the car, if I didn't accompany her. By the end of the year, Mrs. Marshall understood Rachel better & even apologized. When we went back to see her the next year, Mrs. Marshall teared up, hugged Rachel & admitted she had learned more from Rachel than she ever had, from any other student & she was her fav. That's right, Rachel was the teacher. Yes, I stood there & cried. It had been a difficult entrance into the public school setting. We have been blessed with some wonderful teachers.
    One of the hardest things I've had to deal with, is the judgments and criticisms from some, even well meaning, people. I am constantly reminded to never judge anyone. I don't know what their walk has been, or what they are dealing with in their life, right now. Acceptance and a loving attitude mean so much to me. People used to think Rachel's toe-walking was cute... they would smile when they saw her on her toes...lately, those smiles have turned into harsh stares & pointing, as she is growing up and more is "expected" of her. (For those of you that don't know Rachel, she is a "toe-walker"...exactly as sounds..she walks high on her toes a majority of time.) I have noticed a plus for toe-walking... amazing calf muscles!  ;0)
     Thanks for letting me ramble... Off to Ballet this afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment