Sunday, June 5, 2011

Surfers for Autism- Cocoa Beach Event ROCKED!

Rachel with some of her volunteer surfing helpers at the Cocoa Beach event!  www.surfersforautism.org/
     Have you ever wanted to volunteer, but not sure what would be the best use of your time, talents, energy, spirit...? Do I have a recommendation for YOU! Those of you that personally know me, know that I have  some causes that I adore & enjoy helping however I can. But I have found a new one to recommend. SURFER'S FOR AUTISM! They are on Facebook... but words don't do their efforts, service & love justice! I saw a variety of volunteers, including: many college students, surfing schools, complete families (parents & kids), pro-surfers, self-proclaimed beach bums, folks that traveled hundreds of miles to volunteer...

Rachel: self appointed "Hula-Hoop Champ"!
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 was the third annual "Space Coast Surfers for Autism" at that location, in Cocoa Beach. This group has events at various beaches throughout the year. The atmosphere was wonderful! I had trouble imagining what it would be like, beforehand, knowing there would be 200 Autistic "surfers" in one limited location. Go ahead...take a minute and imagine. The possibilities were endless in my imagination, before the event.

"Got a Butterfly Tattoo! I'll never bathe again!"
     The event is an all day event at the various locations. Official hours are 9am-4pm. Of course the main calling is the opportunity to surf, but it was so much more than just that! They had a variety of tents set up, with opportunities for the kids (although any age is welcomed, for the first 200 pre-registering) including, bean bag tosses, hula-hooping (where we hung out a LOT), snow-cone booths, tattoos, music, smoothies, sun protecting products, balance boards to mimic the surfing balance...live music... It was great! And everything was free for the participants & their families.

Official logo of this year's event!
     When it got to be time for lunch, various restaurants provided a great array of delicious food for every (including picky) food palette there!  They had pizza, hotdogs, fruit, pasta, wraps, wings... yep. Plenty of choices. And let me add, the organization of everything was mind-blowing. It was of course, set up immediately in front of a life-guard station. Everything ran like clockwork, from the way they divided the surfers, before the event even started, to the way the MANY surfboards were laid out, to the vinegar spray for "potential" jellyfish stings, tents for activities, services... Can you tell? We had a great time!

It's ALWAYS time for Rachel to dance! (NO judgements at this event-just encouragement!)
          Two groups went ahead of Rachel's (white-banded) group. She was soooo excited! While we were waiting, she was watching the others, getting excited for her turn. A very nice pro-surfer approached us & asked if we would like him to be our volunteer. He talked with us before they raised Rachel's group's white flag, indicating it was "time"! There were probably 5 or 6 additional helpers for Rachel's assistance. They headed out and suddenly, I saw her jump! Jellyfish sting! She attempted to go out 3 different times after that, but wound up with 4 jellyfish stings. And, of course the volunteers were getting stung, chest to toe. "We" finally decided to wait  & see if the jellies moved out. Unfortunately they were swarming all day, but it didn't cause us to have a bad day. We still had a blast! Rachel danced to the music...etc for over 6 hours! No Judging Day! THANK-YOU SURFERS for AUTISM! And I have never felt better about "our" life. It was wonderful being with other families that know the challenges, but are making the most of every good opportunity. A very encouraging day!

Rachel exiting the surf with her amazing Volunteer, surfing pro! OUCH!
       I would love to hear from you, readers, about any other opportunities, that you have encountered, that might be helpful for others! Any recommendations? And would, certainly, encourage anyone to get involved with this group, whether to volunteer, register a surfer, financially support... It was an amazing opportunity, that we are so appreciative of!
      
     Now, for a few interesting observations: the kids kept the cut-out toss boards, spotless. Some were consumed with making sure NO sand stayed on the boards during the games. Rachel's donation seemed to be sorting and stacking the hula-hoops in order according to size, color, bends in them... She would ONLY use the sparkly solid pink one, that had a slight bend. Some kids would not lay on the surfboards when they were on land, but happily "rode a wave" in the actual surf! Many kids, including Rachel covered their ears with the "loud" live music, all the while she was dancing. We saw many tops of heads, as there was limited eye-contact for some. Some had sensory issues, unique eating habits, some had "inappropriate contact space" difficulties, obvious communication difficulties... For once, Rachel was NOT nearly, the only toe-walker; there were several others. Yes, there were several meltdowns, by some participants, awkward moments, if in the "general" population, but nothing, but acceptance and encouragement & support were available, yesterday. What more could we ask? Thank you, again! We will be back & can't wait for that opportunity!

4 comments:

  1. WOW, such a wonderful blog.I am proud to be the first one to comment. We attended the Cocoa Beach SFA event, my daughter Angelia who is 9, has Autism. This was our 3rd event. Our first event was in Juno Beach and Angelia wanted to have nothing to do with surfing other than lay down on surfboard so needless to say, no surfing that day "However" it was a wondeful day as we were able to meet Don and Kim Ryan and other families that live in our unique Autism World. Our second event was in Stuart, the atmosphere so relaxing, we stayed at the Hotel and met some very nice people at the hotel the day before. I couldn't believe it when I heard my daughter say "Hi Monica" as Monica Lopez appeared at the pool. Honestly, I didn't remember Monica's name however my daughter did and Monica remembered hers. We arrived at the beach saturday around 10:00 and Angelia was given a "Blue Band" and was explained that when the Blue flag was up, it was her turn. The volunteers were fabulous and it was time for Angelia's first time to surf, she was reluctant to follow instructions, in fact she wanted it to go her way and did not want to do what she was told soooo.. she did not surf at that time, than it was another round of "Blue Bands", same thing, she was not cooperative. I remember Monica coming over, shedding tears as she really wanted "Angie" to surf. I was frustrated however understanding that my daughter is not a typical child and has Autism. It was time for lunch break and I don't know what went through my daugher's mind however when the break was over, she was "READY". The volunteers took her out surfing and "She did it". She didn't stand on the board however she was on her belly and surfing the waves. I started crying, Monica Approached us and yelled out "Way to go Angie", than Monica came up to me and gave me a hug as I continued to ball my eyes out in joy:)
    Cocoa Beach had to be the best event for us s Angelia was an official SFA Surfer. She couldn't get enough of it yesterday and she didn't understand jellyfish, fortunately didn't get stung ether. There was a time when a "Break" was called, she didn' understand why she couldn't surf and had a meltown, something she doesn't do too often, my daughter wanted to get on a surfboard. I am sure volunteers will remember her as the chubby litte girl who either came up to them while they were waiting on a surfer who had the proper colored band or the little girl who came into the water to surf with another child that was on the board. As long as my budget allows it, we are going to future SFA events. I have seen major improvement in my daughter's sensory issues such as teeth brushing, hair brushing, bathing, communication, socializing, etc... I am not imagining this, she was diagnosed at the age of 2 and has had lots of therapy, still has speech therapy twice a week but I have never seen such change since me became members of the SFA family. That is how Don, Kim and the volunteers make me feel, like family. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You SFA <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the spelling errors, I am usually a very good speller however as I typed my comment, I was emotional, in a very, very happy way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are in agreement! It was the beautiful people, co-ordinatore, volunteers families & friends like yourself that gave us a much needed day full of special moments. So happy to hear of your daughter's progress. Hope we can meet at a future event! We hope to be at Ponce Inlet, St. Augustine & Jax. I was so inspired and hopeful, not to mention incredibly grateful! I appreciate your post! (Sounds like our girls have many of the same issues...grooming...) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog! My 8 year old daughter was with your daughter in the tent, playing while she was waiting her turn to go out. Your daughter beat us at hula-hooping. Just can't seem to hula like I could when I was younger! It was a great time had by all! So glad you got to experience it. The volunteers are amazing, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete