Thursday, September 2, 2010

More Rachelisms

      As I was growing up, and even now, we talked of the "old days", "long ago" or "back in the day" or something similar. It's all relative, of course, but that is just the way we refer to ...earlier. Rachel never uses that terminology. She is such a precise follower of language & rules, that she calls everything that we would call earlier, simply..... "PAST TENSE"! She reminded me that she "didn't like the 'past tense', because we didn't have Rosebug (our dog)."  Sometimes, many times, I think simpler is the clearest.
       Another of her unique perspectives came back at Christmastime. We were in Nashville with my parents (her beloved Nana & Papa). I had gone for my morning shower in their back bathroom. Rachel uses the "pink" bathroom off the hall. Mom said Rachel was kind of wandering the house before she stated: "Nana, mom must be in a 'non-room'."  She had looked in every room she knew of, & instead of saying she couldn't find me, she just noted I was in a non-room.
      And long before the I-phones, I-pads... Rachel used her original term "I-Plan" instead of either idea or plan, a simple combination of the two. She still refers to I-plans at times. Hey, maybe she is a future Bill Gates!  ;0)
       Yes, she keeps me on my toes! and helps broaden my thinking & language skills!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment