Saturday, September 4, 2010

Missing in Action!

      So, it all got more serious over the summer... with age, comes new resposibility.... With Asperger's, not happenin' so easily! Rachel was enrolled in, NOT summer school, but the "politically correct":  CSI camp (aka summer school).  It is a different staff, and children from all over the county are her new classmates. Needless to say, she was not a happy camper. That dreaded word CHANGE! Like I warned you, CHANGE is a 4 letter word for Asperger's! One day, I get a call from the principal, letting me know that Rachel slipped out of class & had been missing for more than 15 minutes. They found her hiding in some bushes near the pick-up lane. Up to this point, she spent time crying and just blanking out when things were tough at school, then coming home and taking her frustrations out on me.
      Just a couple of weeks ago, she was not where she was supposed to be after Sunday School, before worship. I felt fairly sure she was ok, but my heart did react with that frightened drop, until we found her. She had gone with 2 other girls somewhere else in the building. I asked her why she didn't meet me at the usual point. She told me "two girls asked me to come with them". Of course I asked her why she went and she told me she "didn't know what to say to them". So we had ANOTHER conversation about saying NO! We've had it countless times, but obviously, it isn't working. Unfortunately common sense is not a trait of Asperger's. That is not a negative remark, it's simply stating a fact. It's a real problem, especially in this day and age! It's not Mayberry in this time & town. 
       So last Thursday, it was time for her muchly loved Lyrical Dance class. I almost always stay in the lobby just to keep tabs on her and in case she has a seizure. I was able to park right in front of the building. I told Rachel I might run an errand, but I would be back before class was over. (She has taken dance classes for 6 years, same South Daytona Park's building, same wonderful teacher, Miss Kristi, mostly the same students/parents. No changes, so it's very comfortable to her, and her favorite activity of the week.)
      I decided, since it was so pleasant, I would just read in the car. What could go wrong? I was right there. After classtime, I was waiting for her to come out, while watching the other students leaving with their parents/siblings. After a few minutes, I went in to pull her away from Miss Kristi. (We love Miss Kristi...will post on her blessing our lives later!) As I approached the building, Miss Kristi was on her way out the door when she found out Rachel had slipped over to the playground after class, instead of finding me or waiting in the lobby. Once again, my heart sank, blaming myself for not sitting in the lobby. We found her spinning on a gravitational spinning seat on the playground. Makes sense in that she loves to spin. But the park is not the safest area for a child like Rachel (or any child) to be alone. I had to physically stop her spinning and then the talk & questions began. I asked her if she saw me in the car, to which she said NO. Then I asked her if she had looked for me & she replied no, again. There is an innocent behavior with Asperger's, that can be extremely dangerous.
      The responsibility of parenting a child like this is overwhelming. Much of my energy and thought used to go to being an advocate for her and dealing with daily activities at home, doctors.... Now that she is getting older, looks like we've come to a new stage of simply protecting 24/7 along with the other responsibilities. If you see me looking a little weary....you can understand, I hope. I would love to hear, from anyone else, ways to make this journey easier. Simple things, like a childsitter are even near to impossible. To go to a "life-celebration" in NY this summer, I had to fly in Rachel's sister, Emily, from Texas. Sometimes, I long for a break! I miss Mayberry... We need a village!

No comments:

Post a Comment