Friday, September 17, 2010

Aunt Rachel

     Another week has come and gone, with a couple of treasures to share with you...Birthdays are different for Asperger's. Rachel looks forward to hers, as much as anybody, BUT....her concept of time is almost nonexistant, so far as measuring it.
      About 2 1/2 years ago, I asked her if she thought it would be fun to be an aunt. Emily and Sean had shared with me their exciting news of a baby on the way. Rachel's other sisters were very excited, but Rachel was VERY hesitant. I explained to her that Emily & Sean were going to have a baby, so I would become a grandmother (now, happily known as "YaYa"). That was somewhat confusing, but she was adamant about not wanting to be an aunt. After further conversation, and a couple of days of processing allowed and careful thought, I asked her again why she did  not want to be an aunt. She said she was ok being a girl, but didn't think she ever wanted to be a "bug". That's right, she thought she was going to turn into an ant, because Emily was having a baby. Once she understood that "Aunt" is just a title, she was completely on board and excited about Jakson's arrival!
      As a matter of fact, she was so excited, I almost regretted sharing the news with her. She continually asked me, if he was here yet. So, since her birthday is September 10th, I thought it might help her to know he was not due until after her birthday. That seemed to satisfy her, until....September 11th. I went in to get her up and she wanted to see Jakson. I told her he was not yet here and she was devastated, that I had "lied and promised he would be here after her birthday"...which of course meant one minute after midnight to her.  We had another anxiety filled week, before precious Jakson came into our world on September 18, 2008.
As you can see, Rachel is a proud Aunt to her beloved Jakson. The pix was taken in July, 2010.

We all adore him! Happy Birthday precious Jakson! Two is going to be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment