Monday, January 3, 2011

Confusion at Church

    Oh literalism, you have again caused Rachel confusion & me a difficult time, trying to help Rachel understand symbolism.
     Rachel's lifelong buddy, Mollie, was recently baptized. It was so very exciting to learn of Mollie's decision & her desire to serve Christ. I was out of town when it occurred, but Mom was here with Rachel & happily went with Rachel to Beville Road Church of Christ to witness & rejoice with Mollie & her family!
    Mom had already told me about it, and when I got home, Rachel began sharing a little about it. She kind of dropped the subject (which never happens with Asperger's, as they go on & on..... for hours, days, even weeks & months about things, completely obsessing).
    I was somewhat relieved that she had shared, but did NOT obsess. Silly me...while I was thinking she had moved on to other current events, I was suddenly made aware that she was still pondering Mollie's decision. Rachel, finally, one day said: "I think it would be good to be a Christian, but I don't want to eat a person."!
    How do you explain that the Lord's Supper is "symbolic" to someone who does not understand or think in symbolic terms? All this time, at church, & she thought we were cannibals. After a long talk, I still am not sure she understands the symbolic/substitute factor. All of this I'm sharing to let you understand how many of the things we take for granted, can be so baffling to an Aspie!
    While I'm on the subject of church...I am reminided of how many terms, adjectives, etc. I need to use when describing things to Rachel. After several people that were greatly loved passed, the subject of heaven came up, time after time. Rachel knew that it is going to be beautiful, perfect, great, happy...But one day, she caught me by surprise, when she asked me if "heaven was a good place?". After I reassured her & we talked a while, she informed me, that no one had ever said "heaven is good". She was needing to hear it worded like that. I'm just thankful that she asked me, instead of continuing to think it was not good, simply because she had not heard anyone state it with the word "good". Words are important to everyone & I have been reminded, there is no way to overclarify with an Aspie!

No comments:

Post a Comment